SEO, or search engine optimization, is a marketing strategy for increasing traffic to your website through search engine rankings. Search engines like Google crawl the web, index data, and present search results using a scoring system known as PageRank in order to decide which websites are ranked the highest.
Since 75 percent of users never scroll past the first page of results, websites that are ranked the highest get the most attention, the most traffic, and therefore the most SEO leads. That’s why it’s critical to find a way to get your website a high ranking, and why SEO is such an important marketing tool. It’s the strategy you’ll need to use to ultimately get more leads and grow your customer base.
How does search engine optimization get your website to rank higher? There are several techniques, but one of the most common is keywords.
Search engines largely categorize web pages based on keywords. Search engines use computer programs called spiders or crawlers to search the web, analyze individual pages, and categorize them according to certain requirements, one of which is keyword terms that show up often in a website’s content.
With well-placed keywords, your website stands a better chance of beating out its competitors. However, you have to know what keywords to use and where to put them, which is why it’s often smart to hire an SEO intelligence company to help you choose the right terms and usages. For example, long-tail keyword phrases will help bring in targeted traffic because they’re specific and not as competitive as related, shorter search terms. In fact, SEO works most effectively when educational, relevant content including these long-tail keywords is used throughout your website.
Link analysis is also important in SEO. It’s a term used to describe how search engines investigate the number of other web pages linking to a certain location. If a search engine sees lots of other websites linking to your page, you’ll get ranked higher. Make sure your page is a place people want to link to by providing useful, relevant, and engaging content.
What Are Some SEO Strategies for Generating Leads?
Although keywords and links play an important role in SEO, there are several other strategies that SEO gurus use to get your page to rank higher. These SEO techniques help search engines recognize the quality of your website so your page starts to rank higher:
- Creating unique, excellent content. Don’t put low-quality, keyword-stuffed “fluff” on your website and expect it to perform well. Your content should be educational, engaging, and should call your readers to action. It should also contain well-placed keywords that flow well with the content.
- Optimizing title tags. Not only should every page on your website have its own, unique title tag, but each title tag should be compelling and informative, have no more than 70 characters (including spaces), include keywords relating to your product, and your company’s brand name.
- Using social media marketing. Social media websites like Google+ and Twitter are great SEO tools because search engines like Google and Bing use social information and signals from these social sites to “decide” where to rank your website. Just remember to use social media platforms to interact with customers, not to annoy them.
- Blogging consistently. Your blog will do extremely well on its own, and for your website, if it has fresh content and highly structured data. Blogs help enhance your website’s content and allow you to join in other conversations about your industry. This can help increase your exposure and get new links. In fact, companies who blog have 97 percent more inbound links.
- Creating gripping meta-descriptions. Meta-descriptions are 150-character page summaries that should mention your page’s target keyword. If you write your meta-description in a way that captures a consumer’s attention, you’ll increase your website’s overall click-through-rate.
- Building internal links. By linking each piece of content within your website to each other, you’re helping search engine spiders catalogue all your site’s pages. This is a great way to help consumers find more information, and it’s a great SEO boost to the content on your website.
- Using headings that are rich in your keywords. When it comes to the actual content on your website, make sure you separate content sections with headings containing your target keyword phrases. Search engines look closely at these headings, as do the people who are reading them.
- Creating a sitemap. A sitemap is a page that lists the links to the other pages on your website. Creating a sitemap helps search engine spiders index your website so that it ranks higher on that search engine.
Why Should You Invest in SEO?
- It’s cost-effective. SEO is cheaper than other forms of online marketing like PPC advertising, social media marketing, or buying leads for an email marketing program. It’s also an investment that can continually bring visitors to your website, even if you are focusing on other marketing strategies. Plus, 70-80 percent of users ignore paid ads and focus on organic results instead. The more you invest in SEO, the more you’ll get back.
- Your competitors are investing in it. If you think you can outsmart your competitors without taking advantage of SEO, you’re wrong. If your competitors are ranking higher than you, they are probably using SEO, and you should be, too.
- A higher ROI, click-through rate, and conversion rate. Because SEO allows more people to see the link to your website, you’ll get more traffic. With more traffic, you’ll start generating more leads. The trick to converting these leads to sales, however, is to have excellent content on your site so that your leads stay interested. Great content also emphasizes your credibility as the authority on your product or service, which helps leads to trust you and, therefore, buy from you, increasing your ROI.
- Everyone searches for products/services online now. Worldwide, people conduct 131 billion searches per month on the web. Thus, without a strong online presence, people who search for products online won’t see your company. SEO will help your company show up on search engines when people search for the product you’re selling.
- SEO is not going to stop working anytime soon. Even with our ever-evolving technological world, SEO will continue to produce lead-generating results. As search engines develop, so will SEO strategies to keep up with them.
- Increases conversion rates without increasing expenses. SEO has the remarkable ability to increase your sales without also directly increasing your marketing costs. This means your profits can grow exponentially over time if you build your SEO gradually.
If you’re looking for an SEO company that uses honest, successful strategies to help your company rank higher on search engines, call Sprint Marketing. As a marketing intelligence company, we know what to do to get you the SEO leads you’re seeking. You can contact us today for a free leads analysis by calling 801-251-6855 or by visiting www.sprintmarketing.com.